Roofing is a very important process and there are many things to learn about materials, services and contractors that best meet your needs. If you live in San Jose, California, you have to deal with a subtropical Mediterranean climate, with lots of sunshine and typically light rainfalls. In these circumstances, your main concern regarding your roof is to use cool products, with high solar reflectance, in order to keep heat away from the building. Contractors with experienced in roofing San Jose homes are ready to offer different options to residential and commercial clients in the area and all you need to worry about is finding a reliable company for the job.
Things to do before interviewing different contractors
Everyone wants an experienced and skilled roofing contractor, but do you know what criteria you can use to decide which one is a true professional and which one is not?
Well, let`s start with the beginning. Ask around and search on the internet for some roofing company names in your area. Make a list and start your evaluation process, because it is clear that you must look closely at those contractors before selecting one to entrust your roofing project. For each roofing company on your list, you have to determine the credentials, reliability, experience and reputation, because these are the indicators that matter in a roofing contractor from which you expect to provide you with the best roof system. Not least, check the companies with the Better Business Bureau to see if there were any job-related court cases or if a contractor has ever been suspended and for what reason.
This information will help you make the first trial and eliminate some names from your list.
Interviewing San Jose roofing contractors
This step is very important and should not be taken lightly. Make sure to schedule appointments with the companies’ representatives, ask questions and explore the possibilities. Reliable contractors take pride in their work, so they should always be enthusiastic when they discuss with potential clients and willing to show them proof of their level of professionalism.
Here are some important details to ask for:
- The full name of the company and its street address; you want to make sure that the contractor has the office near your place because this guarantees quicker response time
- Proof of carrying liability insurance and workers’ compensation. Let the contractor know that you want to see these certificates before signing any contract and beware of uninsured contractors, as they may not be full-time contractors, and there is also the risk that they are inexperienced in the business or scams that do not stand behind their work
- Proof of being licensed and credentialed
- Referrals or references from previous jobs (photos of recently installed roofing systems and names + phone numbers of recent clients)
- Specifications for workmanship warranty and manufacturer warranties for the products you are considering
- Details about the compliance with local codes
- A written estimate and the chance to review it carefully before signing any contract
- Details about the preliminary inspection
Keep these aspects in mind when looking for roofing contractors and you will surely find the right fit for you.