Whether you’re planning to buy a new house in Springfield or to renovate your old one, it’s a good idea to look for a dependable roofer you can hire. You might find that knowing how to decide upon the most skilled, helpful and reliable roofing professionals will not be as great a challenge as it first may seem – especially if you do your research and get informed properly.
Helpful Tips for Finding a Capable Roofing Contractor
Finding a good Springfield MO roofing contractor is no easy task. Fortunately, in Springfield MO there are plenty of reliable roofing companies you can locate quite easily by using a few simple tips:
- Ask your friends and family members if they know a good roofer. Most of those who have moved into a new home within the past couple of years can typically steer you in the right direction, and the condition of their roof can serve as evidence for a job well done.
- Check the internet. Even though it’s still a good idea to look through the yellow pages and listen to radio and TV ads, many of the best roofing companies in the area are already heavily promoting themselves online. You can easily do a local search on Google or Facebook and find some excellent roofers quite close to you.
- Meet up with each roofer you are considering and make sure that they are friendly and helpful. Gauge their response whenever you ask a question, and see if they are willing to provide the right answer or are more interested in guiding you to pay more for their service.
- Search for roofing experts who have at least 5 years of experience and who specialize in a variety of different types of roofing systems. The diversity of the local climate means that roofers who specialize in many different types of roofing systems and can draw upon that experience in each project they work on are the best ones you can hire.
- Always remember to check to see whether the roofer is licensed, insured and bonded. Also, do a quick background check to see what the Better Business Bureau has to say about them and whether there are any complaints filed about their conduct or reliability.
Pitfalls to Avoid
As Springfield is often plagued with storms and weather issues that can severely impact a roof, many experts recommend that residents and business owners be wary of the efforts of storm chasers and roof repair con artists who frequently try to get more money than they’d deserve for the work they do.
Some scams include the typical storm chasing opportunistic scam, where a less skilled roofer will try to take more money than normal for a low quality roofing job just because they showed up right after a storm to offer “emergency” help. In many cases, these roofers will also make up false damage or even cause real damage to your roof while they inspect it, in the interest of getting paid more.
Of course, it’s very important to note that roofing scams are not more common in Springfield than anywhere else. However, due to the area’s fluctuating weather and more than 100 days of precipitation per year, it’s easy to see why it might be a good idea to steer clear of storm chasers here.